- Front Case Fan Not Spinning: [3 Proven Fixes That Work - June 22, 2022
- Is 60 Degrees Celsius Hot For A CPU In 2022? [Must-Read] - June 7, 2022
- How To Handle CPU Temps Jumping: A Definitive Guide  - June 2, 2022
Possessing a bulk of different adapters and have no idea about which of the power adapters will best suit which device? Do you fear the consequences of linking an incorrect power adapter to a device? Then we are here to pull you out of this trouble.
Undoubtedly, you will strike one of these three possible realities, if you intend to link any of the power adapters with any device. The ideal case is, that you luckily pick the same power adapter of the equipment and it turns out perfect with it.
Another event that has the most probability is that you pick a power adapter for your equipment which is actually not the creator’s choice but still goes well with electronic equipment.
Remember, in worst cases, trying to pair up an incorrect power adapter with equipment can blow it up and can even cause more destruction.
We have researched deeply about what power adapters can be paired up with your devices.
We will also be discussing how destroying an incorrect power adapter can be and of course how you can avoid any worst situation. Let’s dive into it.
- The Voltage Of Power Supply: The Basics
- Why You Should Not Use a 12V Adapter For 6v?
- Recommended 12V Power Adapters To Use
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you use a 12V adapter for a 6V device?
- Can you use a 6V DC adapter for a 12V device?
- Can you use a 9V adapter for a 6V device?
- How do I convert the 12V battery to 6V?
- Can you use a 12V adapter with a 9V keyboard?
- Can I use a 5V adapter for 6V?
- Can you use a 12V adapter for a 19V device or a 15V device?
- Final Words
The Voltage Of Power Supply: The Basics
Electrical power is the most important factor when it comes to charging your electrical equipment.
More precisely, a power supply that comes to your house is all that keeps your electrical devices working.
All you need to comprehend is how to create compatibility between the power adapter and your electronic equipment.
1. Go for a Compatible Adapter
You’ll need to find compatibility between the adapter and your electronic equipment. The power adapter that you have in your hand takes or stores a limited amount of AC input and then changes it into an equivalent DC output.
Similarly, your electrical equipment is also intended to take and store a limited amount of DC input. To check which power adapter will suit your equipment or not, you have to match the DC input of your electronic tool and the DC output of the power adapter.
2. Voltage and Current
If you have even seen the detail written on your power adapter then you might have read information like “6V/12A”. “V” actually stands for Volts and it points to the voltage and “A” symbolizes Amperes that points to the current capacity of a power adapter.
You might also read information about resistance over your power adapter but it’s rare to find. These terms are very simple to understand, voltage is the pressure exerted by the power source to push current through a circuit. Current is simply the rate of flow of electrical charge flowing through a circuit.
Changing either of the two factors will have a serious impact on the power supply that your equipment needs to work appropriately. An excessive power supply can make your electrical equipment overheat and so shut it off immediately.
Do read – can I use 1600 RAM in 1333?
Why You Should Not Use a 12V Adapter For 6v?
Remember, always choose a power adapter that has the output voltage capacity comparable with the input voltage required by your electronic equipment. Current plays a significant role too but if we use a 12V adapter for a 6V device then what happens in different cases?
What happens if the voltage of the adapter is high?
The device will be blown up at once due to the excessive voltage. If burnout doesn’t happen immediately then it will surely get overheated and this will reduce the lifespan of your device. So, we can say that overheating will eventually cause the death of your device in a few days.
What happens if the current of the adapter is high?
Simply, your electronic equipment will operate appropriately if the current of your power adapter is higher than the required current by your electronic equipment provided the voltage is the same.
Let’s comprehend it with a scenario. If your electronic tool requires 12V/2A input and your power adapter has the capacity to 12V/10A then everything will work fine without getting you in trouble.
Your Electronic tool will only take 8A from the power adapter and so the power adapter will use less power supply.
What happens if the current of the adapter is low?
Another case is that the current provided by your power adapter is less than required. Now your electronic equipment will try to get more current out of a limited supply of power adapters, resulting in overheating and the power adapter failing to charge.
In such a case, your electronic equipment may power on properly but will not charge properly. It’s undoubtedly a very bad practice.
Recommended 12V Power Adapters To Use
Before discussing the list of 5 most recommended 12V Power Adapters, let’s answer the question of “Are all the 12V adapters the same?”. The answer is yes and you can use different adapters until and unless they have the same voltage as the voltage provided by the device.
You must also make sure that the power supply provides less current than the required current shown on the adapter. Otherwise, you may face burnout issues. Let’s discuss the five best-recommended 12V power adapters.
- Roy Pow C180B: The best 12V adapter in the market these days, which provides current up to 15 amperes. Not only that, but it doesn’t get heat up even when you keep on using it for several hours. It is designed to work with many compressors. It is the most reliable among all and has the most capacity.
- Belker UA-30: The best one and most probably act as one adapter for all small electrical devices which need a small amount of power supply. This adapter comes with 7 barrel plugs and with a small USB too. With the ability to accept up to 240 volts of input, you just need to select the suitable size of the tip and adjust it with the selector to match the required voltage.
- Pyramid PS9KX: This 12V adapter is the best to handle many advanced electronic devices as well. This power adapter comes with the best overheating controlling ability and with an ON-OFF switch facility as well. Not only that, the features include a fuse too that is replaceable as well.
- Hotor Converter: Are you planning to go on vacation? Bring this 12V adapter with you and make more memories. It can accommodate many of your travel appliances and offers long-lasting results. This adapter comes with internal safety care. Not only does it get overheated but is also designed to use with auto vacuums.
- Chanzon Wall Wart: With a facility of 2 amperes of current, this adapter is best suited to your wifi routers, speakers and cameras, etc. It offers protection with over-voltage, no electromagnetic interference, and a 2 years guarantee of replacement.
Do check our article “is PC2 the same as DDR2?”
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a 12V adapter for a 6V device?
No, it’s never recommended as it blows up the device and causes overheating which eventually results in the death of the device.
Can you use a 6V DC adapter for a 12V device?
The device will work only if the current is the same.
Can you use a 9V adapter for a 6V device?
Never recommended as it shuts off the device by overheating it.
How do I convert the 12V battery to 6V?
By introducing a pair of 10,000 Ohm resistors into the circuit, you can convert a 12V battery to 6V.
Can you use a 12V adapter with a 9V keyboard?
Not recommended as it is dangerous. Excessive voltage blows up the device and causes overheating which eventually results in the death of the device.
Can I use a 5V adapter for 6V?
Yes, as under-voltage does not cause any damage and shortens the lifespan of the device.
Can you use a 12V adapter for a 19V device or a 15V device?
12V adapter will work only when the current is kept constant.
In the end, you know what are the reasons based on which, you should be using an adapter with your device and why you should not be using an adapter if its DC output doesn’t match with the DC input of your device.
Go for the most recommended list of adapters that are easily available on Amazon and provide the best user experience. We don’t ask you to stop playing with the adapters and trying them with other devices but we appreciate you doing it with a piece of sound knowledge. As the destruction caused in the worst scenarios is simply undone.
Remember, if the voltage shown on the adapter is low as compared to the voltage written on your device then your device may run properly unless the adapter provides the same current required by the device. But never try to use an adapter having a voltage higher than that required by your electronic device.
You must also compare the amount of current written on your adapter and required by your device since it has a significant impact. Try things out but always practice some precautionary measures and do a little research about it.